Monday, September 3, 2012

Write to us!



Can I just say how much I love this dd?  With letter writing going the way of the dinosaur, it's nice to see a company asking for letters. Too bad that this ad is from the 1960's....
   Why do people feel the need to dismiss penmanship? You can't e-mail every form of communication, and I wouldn't want to. Texting, Messaging and E-mail is all to instant. You rarely get time to mull something over before you hit the send button and your thoughts are permanently sent out for all the world to see. 
   When you write a letter there's almost a ritual to it. You get out your paper (or stationary if you are lucky enough to find some), a pen, your address book and get started. Most people don't know how to write a proper letter of any kind. How sad is it that people break up over text now? God forbid someone messages you "regrets on ______ dying". 
   There's also something really nice about getting mail. Real Mail. Not bills, or charities looking for money or even mindless catalogues. When you open up the mail box and theres letters with postmarks from various places its thrilling. Someone took the time to write and tell you a story, or send a funny picture or an inspiring poem. It can be uplifting, especially when life is getting you down. When I lived across the country, the thing that really brightened up my day (my soul crushing 14 hour work day that started at 4:20 A.M. when the alarm blared at me) was a letter from my family. They always included some cut outs from the local paper so I would feel at home. You can't get that from a text message. 








No comments:

Post a Comment